Stroud, named in 1826 by Robert Dawson, Agent of the Australian Agricultural Company, quickly grew to become the company's main centre of activity. In 1824, the company had received a grant of one million acres (4,000 km²) of land between Port Stephens and the Manning River. This land was to be used for agriculture and is the very foundation of corporate agriculture in this nation.
Stroud was a self-contained village by 1832 and, as early as 1836, the Company's storehouses and much of the convict labour force were located there. By 1850, it had become the Company's headquarters. Land was subdivided for private settlement in 1849, with settlers arriving from England the following year to take up land grants there.
In addition to the four buildings which this Trust seeks to conserve many domestic buildings were constructed by the AAco and are still stand today. Stroud House (1827-32) and the underground silos, built for the storage of grain, are particularly worthy of mention.
Stroud was among the first rural towns to be classified by the National Trust in 1976.
The major road through Stroud is the Bucketts Way. Bucketts Way is a left turn off the Pacific Hwy,travelling north from Raymond Terrace.
Stroud is 33 kilometres along this route travelling north towards Gloucester andBarrington Tops
Local Government Area: Great Lakes Council
State Electorate: Upper Hunter
Federal Division: Paterson
From Sydney: 213 km North
From Newcastle: 74 km North
From Dungog: 27 East
Australian Agricultural Company, domestic buildings dating from the 1830's